As I started recording the 5th episode of The Casey Lewis Podcast I realized that I hadn’t introduced myself officially. So I start off this new episode telling the story of how I started helping people with money and the time I almost went broke.
Later in the show I talk about student loans, how they’re stealing dreams, crushing the economy, and I make some suggestions on how we could fix this problem.
I’d love for you to check out the show on iTunes and leave a review. It really helps other people find the show.
My financial story
Questions From The Internet
1. I find I can save short term, like a $1,000 emergency fund. But long-term, that never ever touch it again idea is hard for me. I heard an Internet bank because it takes a couple of days to get the funds so that it might make me less likely to use those funds. What are your thoughts on long-term savings habits and ways to help someone who struggles with this?
2. My car is about 15 years old and of course I have no payments on it. I did spend about $2,000 last year on repairs and I anticipate another $500-$1,000 in repairs at some point this year. At what point should I stop pouring money into this car and buy something newer?
If you have a question for me, click here or look over there on the side bar.
If you are a musician or know a musician or band that wants to get their music heard. Reach out to me because I’d love to play a song or 2 on an episode of the show.
Casey Rants About Student Loans
Ways to fix the student loan mess:
- Government stop guaranteeing loans
- Existing loans get principle forgiveness. New loans can be included in bankruptcy.
- Students required to attend financial literacy program and maintain a 3.5 GPA.
- Loans can only pay for up to 75% of tuition. Not available for housing, books, or food.
- Capped at $5,000/semester with a maximum of $25,000 available/student.
- Online login information must be provided immediately along with statements.
- Each semester, students with loans should be required to review their loan obligations and increasing monthly payments.
Joke of the Week
Why did the tomato blush?
Thank you for leaving a 5 star review on iTunes:
- Brandon Kurtz
- Tammy Helfrich
- Camilla at NoMoreHamsterwheel.com
- Matt @ mattonamission.com
If you really like the show consider partnering with me to create even better content by supporting the show on Patreon.